Email Marketing Made Simple: A Step by Step Guide
Email marketing is still the most direct and effective way of connecting with your leads, nurturing them, and turning them into customers.
What Is Email Marketing?
Email marketing is the highly effective digital marketing strategy of sending emails to prospects and customers. Effective marketing emails convert prospects into customers, and turn one-time buyers into loyal, raving fans.
In this guide, we will walk you through the entire process of setting up your email marketing funnel so that you can acquire leads and generate sales, 24/7.
This guide is for those who’re ready to commit to email marketing. If you’re unsure, you may want to read our guide on why you need to build an email list RIGHT NOW!
Since this is a long and detailed guide, we have broken it down into different sections that you can navigate to by using the navigation below:
- 0. Why Email Marketing?
- 1: Getting Started
- 2: Growing Your Email List
- 3: Email List Segmentation
- 4: Email Open Rates
- 5: Email Automation
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our goal is that once you’re done with this definitive guide, you will know:
- How to build an email list of targeted customers.
- How to optimize your emails for the highest open rates and click-through rates (CTR).
- How to automate the process of nurturing your leads and turning prospects into customers.
Sound like a good deal?
Let’s dive into the most comprehensive guide to email marketing on the entire internet.
Introduction: The Importance of Email Marketing
Despite the rise of social media and unsolicited spam (which is never a good marketing strategy, by the way), email remains the most effective way to nurture leads and turn them into customers.
Although there are many reasons you should make email marketing one of your top priorities, here are the 3 main ones…
1. Email is the #1 communication channel. Did you know that at least 91% of consumers check their email on a daily basis? That can’t be said of any other communication channel.
2. You own your list. On any social media platform, your account (with all your fans) could be suspended or deleted at any time, for any reason, without notice. However, you own your email list. No one can take those leads away from you.
3. Email converts better. People who buy products marketed through email spend 138% more than those who do not receive email offers. In fact, email marketing has an ROI of 3800%. That’s huge! And if you are wondering if social media converts even better, think again: the average order valueof an email is at least three times higher than that of social media.
What is email marketing, and where did it begin?
The first email, sent by Ray Tomlinson in 1971 or 1978 depending on your source, marked the beginning of the modern communication era. The message was nothing special, a series of numbers and letters that looked more like a password than a message, but its significance was profound.
The email was sent from one computer to another, traveling through a network of machines, not unlike the internet we know today. Tomlinson also introduced the "@" symbol in email addresses to the world.
Gary Thuerk, a Marketing Manager at Digital Equipment Corp, sent the first commercial email years later, where the message reached a list of email addresses. And voila, email marketing was born. There were only a few hundred people on the list, but that was enough for Thuerk to claim the mantle, "Father of Spam."
Today, we're inundated with email marketing, and yes, some of it still feels spammy, but there's no denying the impact a well-crafted message can have on your customers—not to mention CRM and lead nurturing.
Email marketing helps you connect with your audience to promote your brand and increase sales. You can do a lot of things with emails, like sell products, share some news, or tell a story.
With MailChimp's campaign builder, it’s easy to find the right templates for any message—whether you’re welcoming new subscribers, notifying customers of a sale, or wishing someone a happy birthday.